Wednesday, August 18, 2010

An Embrace – More Than Just A Hug

I have a wonderful friend in Minnesota who, every time we see one another, I hug. When I say every time, I mean every time. If we have just hugged and we go our separate ways and then a couple of hours later we see one another again, yes, we hug again.

We do phone hugs, cyber hugs and even written hugs. Are we crazy? Some would say so. I sort of thought that had already been established and well documented.

While sitting in the airport in Pittsburgh, PA and I heard a voice yell out my name. I turned around and there she was, steadily traveling (while standing still) on a moving sidewalk (and standing to the right to allow those wishing to walk to do so safely on the left) making her way through the airport at double the speed to catch her flight back home. Without any hesitation at all, I got up, ran to her and while running along with the pace of the moving sidewalk, we embraced. During the hug she reminded me that I was crazy. This we knew.

It’s our thing. We support one another. The hug is as strong as the strongest of words that one could say to another in an effort to let them know just how much we care. We both know that. Yet, it’s a simple hug.

It’s a funny thing because when we see one another and we begin walking toward one another in preparation for the upcoming embrace, we both know that there are a few rules to the method of the hug. We must both lean slightly toward the right with arms stretched outward sort of like the wings of an airplane. The lean to the right enables us to connect our hearts during the actual contact/hug portion of this event. Our arms are opposite (up/down) so there is no collision of the wings, so to speak.

The power of this hug is beyond what either of us could describe to you in words. It stems from a moment of recognition that she needed that little boost at a particular moment in her life and there I was. So I gave her a hug. Then another. Then another. Now it is to the point of every time we see one another, she gets a hug. But so do I!

Realize also that we are only in the same places at the same times about three times a year. Those are the only times that the physical hug takes place. The emails, phone calls and cards occur on a regular basis. I haven’t asked but I would be willing to bet that she feels the same way that I do. Be it an actual physical, in person hug or one that is emailed, written or spoken, it’s just as powerful.

Who have you hugged today? GO DO!™

Please follow and leave a comment. Your input is very important!

3 comments:

  1. You have a way with words Tony, whether you are saying them or writing them...

    Hugs are so wonderful and can have multiple purposes, regardless they just feel good! I wondered when I started reading, who your Minnesota friend was and even though I know I wasn't the person in this article, I know I always look forward to your hugs (in person or cyber)! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hug is always powerful, even when given through a Blog. Really powerful infact, because it once again demonstrates how much it means to both of us. BIG HUG! Right back at ya my friend!

    Thanks for sharing our story, it feels good.

    The the readers - Who have you hugged today?? GO DO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you both lucky to have each other. Wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if everyone had that one special person.

    ReplyDelete