Monday, June 28, 2010

Cutting the Grass

I despise yard work. Don’t know why. I just do. I wasn’t traumatized as a child with grass clippings or a pile of raked leaves. I just don’t enjoy it and never look forward to having to do it.

But I do it anyway because I know it has to be done. I put a positive spin on it. I focus on the end result. I imagine what the property is going to look like when I am finished. Not only do I imagine it, I finish it, walk across the street and admire my work. I celebrate, sort of. I won’t jump up and down screaming and yelling about it. That would supply the neighbors with additional evidence as to my mental state. But I internally celebrate with the warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment.

We tend to live our lives in the same fashion. While this yard stuff is just one element of my life, I have other things that I don’t enjoy but I still do them. We all do. We do them because we focus on the end result. When we finish, we step back and celebrate our accomplishment.

Take visiting relatives for example. Some we love to see and others, not so much. For those in the latter category, we focus on the end result. That end result being when we are pulling out of the driveway, waving goodbye and smiling, thankful that we are finally leaving the hell that has had us imprisoned for the past two or three hours.

Oh, and just think if “Cousin Eddie” (see National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation) wanted me to cut his grass. (see latter category above)

Bottom line here is despite the blood, sweat and tears that we must experience to get us through our everyday drab, if we focus on the end result, we can stand back, admire our work, respect our struggle and bask in the glow of our results. GO DO!™

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Tony! I appreciate the perspective. For some of us that comes naturally and for others it is a challenge. Your post put it in easy terms. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part is "pulling out of the driveway, waving goodbye and smiling"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visualizing the end result is a great way to get a difficult or non desirable job done. I have found that sometimes I actually end up liking the job because I love the end result.

    ReplyDelete